The construction of Building No.4, originally known as “the Hoggs House”, started in 1863 and was basically completed in one year. The building went through a major repair in 1899. The Hogg’s House covered an area of 754 square meters, with a construction area of about 1275 square meters. The two-storey building had 25 rooms in total. There is a tower on its roof, where people can look as far as they wish. The main components of the building include timber, wooden doors, wooden windows, wooden pillars, wooden beams, wooden floors, and wooden mantels, etc. On the southern side of the bottom floor is a 3-meter-long colonnade with black sheet on the top, through which one can drive cars straight to the front door.


As the fourth building on the campus of St Johns University, it is known as Building No.4, standing together with the grand lawn in front of it, because the Tent Spirit that originated here has inspired generations of students. In 1979, the second reopening of ECUPL welcomed the first batch of 310 students. However, except East Wind Building, which was returned to ECUPL by the branch of Fudan University, other buildings were still occupied by other work units. The Party and administration leadership headed by Xu Panqiu and Cao Manzhi decided a library and a teaching building should be built first, and 5 rented tents set up on the lawn as the offices of the Party and administration. The dark and small tent offices were of course not very comfortable: freezing cold in winter and scorching hot in summer, but those working inside were all passionate for restarting the university. For years, in the tents, the party committee of the university held meetings on campus affairs, arranged inspections, received letters and visitors, and so on.The Tent Spirit is an authentic narration of the arduous pioneering efforts of the university in the early years after its reopening. It also mirrors the spirit of ECUPLers, i.e., joining hearts and hands and making unremitting efforts for the cause of legal education.