思孟堂的隅石于1908年9月19日奠定,翌年9月落成,取名“思孟”以纪念圣约翰大学教员孟嘉德(Arthur S. Mann)。他被认为是第一个把西方社会学介绍到中国之人。

The cornerstone of the Mann Hall was laid on September 19, 1908, and the building was completed in September of the following year. The name Mann was to honor  Arthur S. Mann, a faculty member of St. John’s University. He was considered the first person to introduce Western sociology into China.


The facades of the building are dry walls of grey bricks over 30 meters wide, with its fireplace flues protruding out of the roof along the sidewall. Though it was impossible to use a fireplace in a student dormitory, it had become a custom for such a design. The Mann Hall has a western arch-style front wall and a corridor as well as a slope roof combined with a partial flat roof, creating an ingenious match of the Western continuous arches with the Chinese cornice roof.


The Mann Hall was first used as a dormitory building for senior students of St. John’s University, and was then transformed into girls’ dormitories in 1947. In March 1951, it was renamed the Peace Hall. After the founding of East China Institute of Politics and Law, the Mann Hall was converted into Student Dormitory Building No. 2, which was renamed Student Dormitory Building No. 5 after the reopening of the university in 1979, and regained its original name the Mann Hall in June, 1998.